Wednesday 8 August 2012

State Duathlon Champion

Ooh yep been a while since my last blog! I suppose I haven't really had anything exciting to report, except for winning E Grade again in the Grindelwald Challenge (a huge surprise).
Training has thankfully been quite a bit more consistent since my injury has healed and I even went back to LAC the week before last. I ran the "Flanagan Flying 10k" at George Town in 41.38, pretty much the same time I ran it last year when I was running well and hadn't had injuries interrupting my training and forcing me to have six weeks off.
Last weekend the State Duathlon Championship and national qualifying race was held at Symmons Plains in its typical weather - blowing a gale, freezing cold and at times pouring with rain! Fun!
Unfortunately with Melissa still away, Natalea injured and Kate making the smart decision to stay in bed, there wasn't a lot of competition and I won by over four minutes. Still it is a nice title to have and shows that I have some form coming into Yeppoon, even if it was only over a tiny fraction of the distance.
I have one more test to sharpen me up which is the 20km State time trial race this Saturday at Richmond. Then there won't be time for much more at all before we are on a plane on Thursday to Rockhampton and driving to Yeppoon.
I must say I am extremely nervous about my transitions and swimming in a wetsuit, neither of which I have practiced since early March. But I'll just use this race as a marker to see how I'm going and make a decision which 70.3 to tackle next, where I'll actually aim to be competitive. At this stage I think December is a good target so it will probably be Canberra or Phuket.
Once I get back from Yeppoon it will be straight on the roadie for a fortnight to try and cram in some training for Amy's Gran Fondo in Victoria, then onto a running block in the hope of doing Triple Tops and various other races late in the year.
Well a rather hurried blog there but at least a brief update - full race run down post Yeppoon.
For now I am off for a cruisey weekend in Woodbridge :)

No comments:

Post a Comment