Wednesday 7 September 2011

Sponsorship

We all know how hard it is to get these days, especially when you're not even mildly on the professional radar (by the way if you're looking for an athlete to sponsor I firmly recommend you check out the blog of my friend Bel Fong) so I wanted to mention those sponsors that I do have to let them know how much I appreciate their help.
No, I don't have any paid sponsorship as yet (this is OK, I need something to aspire to when I am a real pro!) but I have received generous in kind sponsorship from:
Harvey Griggs (Positive Strokes soft tissue therapy) One of the first to come on board and help me, Harvey is truly the best sports masseuse in Launceston, most probably in Tasmania, Australia, etc etc.
Having completed numerous Ironman including our holy grail, Kona, Harvey is somewhat of an idol. If there is one thing better than spending an hour having all your aching, tight muscles pummelled about, it is doing that while talking continuously about triathlon with someone who knows what they're talking about! But one of the great things about Harvey is that he knows lots about everything, not just triathlon, so it makes for a very interesting hour. So thanks Harvey for your help and friendship :)
Next up is my wonderful pilates instructor Jude Hillhouse, and Nat who owns In Balance Physio & Pilates in Paterson St. Jude has given up hours of her time to teach me in one on one lessons and is now offering me free studio lessons (or access to all the fantastic pilates equipment) until the race. If you have never done pilates, and you aspire to be good at any sport you do - or just strong, healthy and flexible - you should start right now. My swimming and cycling have improved out of sight since I improved my core strength, and in 5 months of training I have not had ONE INJURY! Compared to last year where I had consecutive injuries that put me out of training for months. Plus I consider my pilates classes "me time"  - rarely do you get an hour to just put everything out of your mind and concentrate hard on tiny, subtle muscle contractions and movements. Enough rambling! Thanks In Balance.
Lastly the support of the most dollar value, my employer of several months now - Cycle Torque and Coffee (46 Brisbane St). I walked into the shop one day when things were pretty bad, the bank was knocking on the door and there was no money in the account, and just asked if there was any work going. I had ridden with the CTC boys a few times but didn't really know them. Amazingly they took me in and here I am a couple of months later, in the shop 4 days every second week, 3 days the other week. Not too long into this arrangement Nathan decided to teach me how to clean a bike properly - a rather nice looking BMC Time Machine time trial bike. Rather curious as to the ownership of this lovely machine I did enquire and was eventually told it was to be my new ride for the Worlds! I was so surprised I was speechless for hours (clearly not a common ailment for me). Nath also fit the bike to me, the first time I've ever had a proper bike fit. His triathlon experience and knowledge is invaluable in this whole process.
I'm now also modelling the brand new eyecatching ladies CTC shop kit, so look out for that on the road!
I've surely missed out stacks of my helpers but unfortunately that's all I have time for right now - til the next blog. Holz :)

No comments:

Post a Comment